Slips, trips and falls
22 October 2019
Applying some simple health and safety measures can help protect people at your church from injuries caused by slips, trips and falls.
Why is it important to protect people?
Employers have an obligation to ensure staff are kept safe by minimising slip and trip risks within the workplace. Regulations are laid out in the:
- Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974
- Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999
- Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992.
Risk assessments can help you to identify risks which may cause accidents. They also provide significant help to your insurer when defending, when justified, you and your organisation against injury claims resulting from slips and trips.
Top tips to prevent slips, trips and falls
Carrying out regular maintenance and repair of floor surfaces, steps and footpaths at your church will help to reduce hazards that could cause slips and trips. The tips below outline some useful ideas to get you started:
- Replace or repair cracked or damaged flooring
- Remove or replace worn, damaged or loose floor coverings (e.g. carpets, mats and rugs)
- Fix down carpets and entrance matting securely
- Carry out regular maintenance and repair of roofs, ceilings and guttering
- Repair potholes or uneven surfaces in paths, driveways, car parks and steps
- Highlight unexpected changes or variations in floor levels, steps or stairs
- Provide adequate or enhanced lighting
- Avoid or cover trailing electric leads
- Provide steps, stairs and steep paths with suitable handrails
- Remove stored furniture and other obstructions from footpaths and walkways
- Regularly clean floors and coverings
- Provide adequate barriers and warnings where there are unprotected drops
- Regular maintenance and proper repair of external drainage
- Provide entrance matting
- Remove protruding tree roots and undergrowth where these are obstructing access
- Provide warning signs where cleaning is taking or has taken place
- Remove algae, moss or accumulations of leaves on external footpaths
- Grit footpaths where snow or ice is forecast and remove any snowfall.